The authentic buildings of the village have been collected from Inverell and surrounding districts and represent the lifestyle and pioneering spirit of our forebears.
Inverell Pioneer Village Gates
The gates were built and designed by the late Jack Littlewood, the first President and Life Member of the Village. The posts are from one tallow wood tree felled in the Washpool State Forest. The gates were made of hardwood slabs taken from the old "Kempton" homestead, Tingha. Mr Len Griffey made the gudgeons on which the ... more details
The Grove Homestead
Transported from Tingha and faithfully restored, this is the original home of Sidney Hudson Darby, who arrived in NSW with his wife and children in 1840. In 1841 he and his partner J.H Goldfinch took up "Tiengah" run, an area of 80,000 acres. It is recorded that the actual move from "Cressfield" in the Hunter Valley to "Ti... more details
The General Store
This small store was built in 1911 as a butcher’s shop in Byron Street Inverell. The first owner, Mr Dow, sold his business to the Chapman family in 1921 and this family owned the shop for three generations. About 1926 Mr Gilbert Chapman began work as one of Inverell’s first electricians and for thirty five yea... more details
Paddy's Pub circa 1874
Paddy’s Pub was the first building to be brought to the Village and the first to be restored.
Built in 1874 of slab construction, this was the halfway house between Inverell and Bundarra. It was situated at Stanborough, a small mining village of some 20 people. The hotel was built by Jo... more details
The Goonoowigall School circa 1887
Goonoowigall is an aboriginal name. There are several versions of what the name means: the most widely held is "plenty rock wallaby". This appears feasible as the area is wooded granite country.
The school was transported to the village from the old settlement of Goonoowigall three miles sout... more details
The Nullamanna Church
The Nullamanna Church was donated by the Methodist Conference of NSW and transported and restored by the Inverell East Rotary Club.
The history of the church is largely the story of the people who used it. It is a simple functional building erected by local people to serve their spiritual and... more details
The Aberfoyle Post Office
This office was established on 14th August, 1906. The opening of the office provided facilities for the residents of this small settlement to send and receive telegrams. Aberfoyle is 50 miles east of Guyra on the eastern fall of the Great Dividing Range. Possibly the office keeper provided postage and the office... more details
The bridge over the lake spanned the Slaughter House Creek at Biniguy for many years. Of steel girder construction it is thought to have come from England at the beginning of the century. The bridge spans one end of the artificial lake which was excavated by local contractors according to the landscape design of Mr M Watso... more details
The Pindaroi Farrier's Shop
This station farrier’s shop was bought from "Pindaroi Station" Nullamanna and re-erected on this site by the Inverell Apex Club.
"Pindaroi Station" was originally gazetted in 1846 as part of George Polhill’s holding which comprised of "Wellingrove" 50,000 acres and "Pindaroi" 40,0... more details
The Printery - The Old "Times" Office
This building now known as the "Times" Office was formerly a public school. It is believed to have been the Wirrabilla Public School (four miles from Gunnedah) and had the name and the year "1925" painted on it in earlier years. Presumably, it was built and opened in that year, and closed in 1968. It is assumed the buildin... more details
The Miners Hut & Sapphire Fossicker
Inverell has long been recognised as a gem centre. Diamonds were first mined in the Copeton area in the 1880’s and sapphires, zircons, quartz and topaz have all been found in the area since the 1870’s but the importance of Inverell as a sapphire centre was not realised until the 1960’s. The first sapphire... more details
Shadwell Hills Kitchen
In 1890 George Mepham moved from "Rye Green", Bukkulla, to "Shadwell Hills", Elsmore, with his wife and family of two stepdaughters, eight sons and four daughters. They lived in a bark hut but immediately built this kitchen. Then a substantial home was built by a W.F Stenz for them. However this kitchen was the hub of the ... more details
The sawn slab cottage was built in the early 1890's by the Lucus family on an unnamed property 11kms from Inverell on the Warialda Road.
It was constructed on red ironstone rock foundations and was used for a type of half way house and resting place for people, bullock teamsters and horse tea... more details